Friday, November 6, 2009

Tulsa Radio Stations and Me

I live in Tulsa currently. I once lived in Oklahoma City, not so long ago.
In OKC I have a favorite radio station -- KISS-FM -- particularly because of the afternoon drive time team, Drew and Kaci. I love their banter and they seem like genuinely nice people.
KISS plays current top 40 tunes, as well as some older stuff, but mostly current music, and they play those songs repeatedly, again and again, ad nauseum, as do most of the stations whenever they lock onto music that listeners respond to. I understand that, so every now and then I switch to another station until I get tired of their line-up, and then back to KISS.
Now, though, I live in Tulsa and I cannot find current music.
I've tried 97.5, but it's a little too hard core for me.
I like 103.3 when I'm in the mood for classic rock, but come on, not all the time.
I have listened to the Oldies station, and I just can't take any more repetitions of "Teen Angel."
I'm not a huge country fan; I live in the wrong part of the world, huh?
I have 96.5 plugged into my pre-set button, and it touts itself as playing 70's, 80's, 90's, and today.
I can't seem to drive during the "today" section of their playlist.
Or much 90's.
And then the station has All-80's weekends seemingly every single weekend.
But Prince and Madonna, 80's? Still very relevant in the Tulsa metro! Pick a time of any day, weekend or not, and one of those two artists will be belting it out on Tulsa radio everywhere.
If I hear "Kiss" or "Borderline" again I will have to rip out  my stock radio and get some sort of adapter for my i-Pod so I can listen to something I enjoy.
And irony of ironies, invariably when I visit OKC it is a Wednesday. I don't know why, it just seems to be the trend. And guess what? Every Wednesday if Way Back Wednesday on KISS-FM!!
NOT current, not at all, not on Wednesday.
Sigh. I guess I'll get back to Tulsa.

1 comment:

  1. I find 94.1 can have some songs I like when 103.3 doesn't...and one of their schticks is that they play "the whole song", and don't talk over the intro. I do like it that they will play the album versions, not the cut-up radio versions.

    ReplyDelete