Thursday, March 15, 2012

Day 3 of Vegan Challenge: Gelatin

Day three is about labels, reading them and learning what those ingredients really are. Best advice: read the label, buy the stuff with the least stuff in it and make sure you recognize the stuff.
Easy enough.
Lard: pig stomachs.
Lanolin: derivative of sheep wool.
Urea: used to give pretzels that familiar brown tint.
Gelatin: wait a minute...
I know what gelatin is, right? Jell-o? "Watch it wiggle", Bill Cosby commercials, good stuff.
Nope. According to Patrick-Goudreau, gelatin is made of slaughterhouse leftovers, like skin and bones and oh my gosh who-knows-what-else. I believe the author, but I don't really want to.
Because marshmallows contain gelatin.
Marshmallows? Aren't they supposed to be just fluffy sugary goodness? Made from love and happiness and extra light?
Now I have to find an alternative for my S'mores.
And gummy candy and vitamins, they all have gelatin, too. Makes sense, of course, I just hadn't thought gelatin-of-my-youth was a problem.
This "thinking about it" stuff is no fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment