Friday, March 23, 2012

Mindful

I've read a lot of books about meditation lately. Namely for using it to notice the world and how  you are an integral part of it.
Martha Beck writes extensively about Oneness and Wordlessness, practices of deep meditation, deep enough to be part of the cosmos fabric again for an instant or minutes on end, letting the conscious realm flow about you while you look on in wonder.
Now I'm reading Mindlessness, An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World, by Mark Williams and Danny Penman. I could be more mindful, I certainly could.
This week's practice is to be fully aware when doing a mundane daily ritual, such as brushing your teeth. Feel the brush, taste the paste, be conscious of the muscle movements.
Okay. I can do that.
And eat raisins or nuts thoughtfully and with attention.
I can do that too.
And also for six days this week, meditate on the whole body, part by part, incorporating it all in one mental space. If the brain wanders, as it will, let it go to it's place and acknowledge what it's thinking, then firmly pull it back to the task at hand, which is not thinking.
Okay.
I shall try all of this and report.

No comments:

Post a Comment